Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

18.3.14

Pin of the Day: Pallet garden



This is the year that I'm going to intentionally garden (as opposed to kinda-sorta garden) vegetables. I'm moving the vegetable patch from it's current out-of-the-way location right out the back of our place on top of a sandstone cliff (well, it feels like that when you reach it), to right beside the house. I don't care if it looks ugly.

I care that it looks ugly. I'm sure I can pretty it up with some bunting or something. I guess it's more important that it's in my face, reminding me to water those precious carrots and tomatoes.

I'm inspired by this pallet garden created by Crafting Creatures and found on good ol' Pinterest. There is a stack of pallets that have been cluttering up the side of our street for a good six years or so, seemingly abandoned and belonging to no one, so it will be nice to rehouse one or two. I will have to investigate the legalities of procuring them, as I'm sure that even though they've been stacked there for the entire term of a primary-schooler, the minute I lay a finger on one I will likely be accused of stealing valuable property by... whoever put the pallets there six years ago. Such is my life.

Visit Crafting Creatures for more info on the pallet garden (although there is not much there) or click on the image above to repin the pin!


Do you vegie garden? Are you any good?

10 comments:

Libby said...

I too have desires for pallet gardening but I have read about making sure pallets are "safe" to use - they can be chemically treated and I'm not after a side of arsenic (or other toxic mix) with my salad greens!! Food for thought:)

Libby said...

Further update - it's stamped MB if it's been treated with Methyl Bromide but aside from that I'm not sure whether there's any other chemicals involved:))

Michelle said...

I did proudly grow my veggies and herbs for a few years ... until a cute puppy by the name of Lexi joined our backyard and decided to dig everywhere and anything .... especially the garden beds and tasty retic pipes! Hoping to replant everything once she grow out of her digging stage!
You can do so many things with pallets, and I agree bunting would definately make that garden bed prettier ;)

Elisa {With Grace and Eve} said...

Ahhh yes I declared this the year I also would intentionally garden. Am yet to create that garden bed - but it's our project for the easter school holidays. It will happen!! :) x

BigLittle said...

This does look like a good idea. I love to garden but our tree house is on a virtually vertical section so we have to be a little creative.... Small things scattered here and there... Anything is good though, just getting your hands in dirt makes you feel better. Lisa x

Andrea said...

I'm so bad at vegie garden. I have grass is greener envy too...my neighbour has AN AMAZING VEGIE GARDEN...all heirloom everything, and a real variety...from asparagus, to kale, to jackfruit, to citrus, to herbs....I have such envy of vegie garden people.

Zanni Arnot said...

Awesome. Thanks for sharing this. Mum and Dad are building at the moment, and I asked them to collect the pallets for me, because I knew I could use them for something. And I can use them for this! I have little round gardens made from bricks. I really have them though as entertainment more than anything because except for a stray eggplant we reap no produce. But they look pretty! x

Katie @ Life With The Crew said...

Wow, you read my mind! My husband and I have been planning a pallet garden fence since last Fall. I know the only way that we are seriously going to grow something is if we have a sturdy garden fence (6 dogs really know how to kill a garden pretty quick) and my husband always has pallets at his work. This is already on the to-do list for the next month! I look forward to seeing how yours turns out!

Ock Du Spock said...

Oh I love to veggie garden! I'm a little obsessed with it actually! I think if it brings you joy then you can't ask for more than that :) actually you can see my garden here
http://www.ock-du-spock.com/2013/12/the-transformation-of-garden.html#.Uyk8qoUbA0o

Sarah said...

There's nothing prettier than looking at something you've grown yourself (although a little bunting never goes amiss).

Post a Comment

Thank you for talking to me.x